We love coconuts. If there was only one thing we could choose to live on, this might be it - which was quite convenient this past week, when coconut water was the only thing our ! After a couple of pretty bad days, the general feeling of queasiness and nausea was our constant companion all week as we fought off the lingering effects with which the bad food or drink gifted us. With as few details as possible, our greatest threat was dehydration, and it's a long trek to town on a bumpy bus for Gatorade. Fortunately, God provided a FAR better alternative just waiting for us in our backyard! Coconuts!
Coconut water is full of electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals that your body needs to stay hydrated without all the processed sugars, dyes, and chemicals that regular sports drinks contain. Tropical cultures prize coconut water above all other beverages due to its rehydrating and health renewing properties.
We've posted a few pictures of our coconut harvesting process...takes some work, but is well worth it!
Since we are so thankful for the gift of this incredible, edible, coconut, we wanted to give it a shout out to highlight some of it's amazing features:
- The Coconut Palm is one of the oldest trees on earth
- Revered as the most versatile and useful tree on earth, the coconut palm provides many resources using all parts of the tree.
- A hard outer green shell protects the “fruit” inside and this husk provides fuel for fires and fiber for clothing and rope, which is stronger than hemp.
- Due to the amazing properties of Coconut water it can be used intravenously as an effective IV.
- Rehydrates the body with rich sources of electrolytes and natural salts, especially potassium and magnesium (contains 15 times more potassium than standard sports drinks). Coconut water is rich in natural vitamins (especially the B vitamins), minerals, amino acids, enzymes, and antioxidants.
- The Coconut is prized for its medicinal qualities: the highly mineral-charged coconut water detoxifies the kidneys, liver and other vital organs; coconut oil’s unique form of saturated fat helps prevent heart disease, stroke, strengthens the immune system and protects against viral, bacterial and fungal infections. The oil is also used for cooking, body massage, to nourish the skin, nails and hair and applied topically on wounds to speed healing among several other health benefits.
- The milk and cream are used for yummy curry sauces and desserts that we LOVE
- Our favorite fact about Coconuts: we have just barely scratched the surface!