And. He is the cutest ever.
Here are some highlights from his fifth month:
- He laughs and smiles almost constantly.
- He still hates naps...and sleep in general. Unless he's in his Boba Air carrier. Then he likes naps. But my shoulders are getting weary...
- He mastered rolling over from back to front (which makes diaper changing much more fun). He doesn't think rolling front to back is a good idea, and has only dared try it a couple times.
- He practiced sucking his thumb in Israel and was getting pretty good, but hasn't tried as much since our return.
- He is so cute in an elf outfit it hurts.
- His hair is getting much lighter...with definite red highlights. My dark haired baby is gone.
- Bath time is still his favorite thing ever.
- Except for playing with Dad. He smiles with wide, awed, eyes when Geoff holds him up on his shoulders - I don't know who enjoys it more.
- He does not adjust at all to jet lag.
- He wants to go to bed at 8:30 P.M. TX time - no matter how we try to make this earlier.
- He experienced his first international trip visiting Israel, Palestine, and Turkey.
- He enjoyed his first Christmas
- He finally did NOT outgrow his clothes every week! Good timing since we were living out of a suitcase for 3 weeks. Nine month clothes worked great all month.
- He didn't gain much more than half a pound this month, just got a little taller. That still put him over 20 pounds. It was time for him to slow a bit - mom's arms are tired.
- First haircut! I know, it's early. I waited until the day he turned 5 months old in my defence. But the three inch rat tail had grown quite long enough, thank you.
- HE FOUND HIS TOES! A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E.
I also came up with a fun Christmas tradition; that Geoff would build/make a special gift for Samuel each year. For this first year, we brought a large branch of olive wood back from Bethlehem and Geoff made a fantastic jeep for Samuel out of it - just in time for Christmas day. He first practiced on an oak log, so I got a Jeep for Christmas too! I'm so glad I came up with this idea. "Things Geoff Should Do." Some of my best ideas fall in this category.
Below is a slideshow of more pics from Samuel's fifth month. For pictures from his time in the land of the Bible (which was most of his fifth month), see the recent post: "Oh the Places You'll Go."